Keeping God’s Word in your mind and heart will keep your mind on heavenly things! For a list of reasons why we should strive to memorize scripture, read: Memorizing Scripture: You Can!
Here are 10 Tips to help you memorize scriptures:
1. Post a post-it on your bathroom mirror, nightstand, desk, fridge… anywhere you’ll see it often.
2. Keep an index card with the verse on it in your purse or wallet and refer to it during the day.
3. Put a scripture on a note in your phone, take a screenshot of it, and keep it as your lock screen. You’ll see it every time you check your phone for the time during the day.
4. Recite the verse out loud to yourself several times. Have your kids join in, too!
5. Try to find the verse set to music. Many are available on You Tube for free. Here is one I found just by typing “1 Philippians 4:8 song” into the search bar on You Tube.
6. Or, make up your own song!
7. Pray the verse over yourself, your family, and anyone else who may need it.
8. Set the wake up alarm on your phone with the verse as the label.
9. Write the verse out by hand.
10. Try the Scripture Typer App. This isn’t an ad. I just really love it!
What verse are you working on memorizing right now?
Note: This post first appeared in 2014.